On Monday, September 12, 2011 7:04:21 AM UTC-5, Patrick Moore wrote:

> One place where I'd be inclined to choose indexing is for off road
> riding where rough terrain makes smooth friction shifting hard to do.
> As it is, my terrain is mostly flat, so I don't bother, but for
> terrain that called for a lot more shifting, I'd be inclined to choose
> it.

So far, terrain hasn't been an issue for me wrt using the Silvers. I think
the trails I ride are well-enough maintained that general roughness won't be
an issue. And goodness knows it's flat; I live and ride in Chicago suburbs.
Most of my shifts are traffic- or signal-related.

> But only 7 speed cassettes.

Is that because the 7-speed's wider cog spacing is more "forgiving" than
8-or-more's spacing? Or is there some other reason?

(Oh, thanks for the inspiration. I got some aluminum this weekend and did
enough Dremel-practice with it to believe I can craft a light bracket. I
hope to create one that sufficiently protects the light from wheel spray,
can be used with my Mini/PlatRack/SlickerSack, and is reachable enough that
I can turn it on/off, while straddling if not while riding, and
rarely-if-ever requires adjustment to get the level right; it's a battery
light that'll be removed/replaced daily.)

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean