I get nothing but " that's a really nice bike" or "that's beautiful"
or "that's classic" comments about my Rivs, tho' mine are set up more
racier than many, I guess. Or maybe ABQ, which is a riders' haven, is
just more mellow. I did have someone do a double take when he saw my
'03 Riv (with hammered Honjos and saddlebag) and asked, "That's nice;
how old is it?" and I screwed up my face in concentration (honestly)
and thought a moment and answered, "2003."

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Steve D. <s_dem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah... A friend of mine has a brand-spanking-new La Pierre carbon
> bike. This first one he had to replace because the frame cracked going
> over a bump on the Burke-Gilman trail. That was before he told me my
> Atlantis was too heavy. But I always keep Grant's piece of advice in
> mind: "Compliment other people's bikes, especially if they're new."
>
> -Steve
> Seattle
>
> On Sep 30, 8:58 am, Allan in Portland <allan_f...@aracnet.com> wrote:
>> Literally heard that last night in regards to my still-new-to-me AHH. Look,
>> I know the tires are a little shabby, and the saddle doesn't fit the
>> aesthetic (but it does fit me), but really, "that thing?"
>>
>> :-) OK, as it was coming from a young 20-something on a crabon looking
>> Scattante bike with skinny tires and not much else, I figured it was a
>> compliment.
>>
>> I should start a blog of unprompted comments Rivendells bring. So far, in
>> less than 2 months I've had the usual "how old is it" on two different
>> occasions. Some guy who looks like he doesn't ride bikes asked if I could go
>> over 40 mph on it (was happy to show him the computer's max speed was
>> currently recorded as 39.55). And not quite a comment, but the train rider
>> in the seat next to me very conspicuously doing a web search on "A. Homer
>> Hilsen" Not that I can blame any of them, (OK, I do hold it against the "how
>> old is?" guys), it _is_ a great looking bike. In fact, as I often thing to
>> myself, much better looking than it should considering it's built up almost
>> entirely from second-hand accumulation.
>>
>> And finally, something (IMO) so cliched (no offense intended) I thought I'd
>> _never_ do, before, well..., getting my own put together, the flickr photo
>> set <http://www.flickr.com/photos/47116230@N00/sets/72157627777685182/>.
>>
>> Best regards & hats off to Grant P,
>> -Allan

Patrick Moore