I just read through these posting and it brought two stories back to mind.
 The first, cica 2003, when I got my Rambouillet.  The first ride was to the
top of the Appalachian Gap in Vt.  It's about 40 miles from my home, uphill
all the way, which gradually gets steeper and steeper until the last 1500
meters which is 22%.  When I got to the top I was greeted by a group of
French Canadian tourist who complimented me on my classic bike.  They were
astounded to discover that it was brand new!

The second story begins in 1983 when I bought my adolescent son his first
racing bike, a lugged steel Bianchi.  Over time we replaced all the
components with Campy NR, and when he out grew the frame (he moved on to a
hand-me-down Marinoni frame and I got a new one, which I still have) his
younger sister got the bike.   She rode it for quite a while, and when she
was ready to go to college we spray painted the frame an awful shade of
 green, did a deliberately botched tapeing job, installed a ripped saddle,
but left the good Campy parts on it and sent her off.   She rode the bike
through four years of college and at least another five in DC without it
looking like an object of desire,  before it was stolen.  Later, my 115 lb
daughter, came across the bike, confronted the thief and rode home on the
bike.  She still uses it, although she now has a newer SOMA, and an even
newer son to occupy her attention.

blessings,
michael
take care of Self; it's one of a kind and irreplaceable

41 degrees and raining today