Rode w/ 11lbs of bird seed in the front basket of my Atlantis last
Sunday, through the snow for that matter. No problem. I believe the
convenience and practicality of having a basket/bag up front
(especially during a brevet) far out weighs any nominal changes in
handling.

My advice is just to make sure your load is low; on a front rack. I
rode w/ a heavily loaded boxy bag suspended off my my Noodles w/ one
of those Nitto bag holders, and that wasn't good. I don't do that
anymore now that I have a proper front rack installed.

Go for it. Berthoud bags are nice.

Kevin
RBA - Alaska