From: dougP <dougpn...@cox.net>
To: RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, December 6, 2011 8:18:15 AM
Subject: [RBW] Re: Near-Catastrophic Rim Failure

Ray:

Is it possible for you to measure the thickness of the failed area?
Even a rough idea such as "half of original; quarter; or thin as a
soda can" may be helpful when the rest of us check our rims.  Given
the dimensions that Grant lists, I should pay a lot more attention to
rim wear.  My replacement cue has been when they're been banged up
enough they won't true up.  The current Mavic A719s on my Atlantis
rarely need any attention but the braking surfaces have noticeable
wear (now that I'm looking).

After reading Grant's dimensions for the upcoming Stouty rim, I
checked Mavic's website for comparables on the A719.  They only list
weight (565 grams for 700). tire width (28 to 47), but not rim width
or height.  IIRC they used to have more detail.  The next level down
for touring is the A319 @ 595 grams.  So Grant's 650 gram is right on
target.  Most of us are going to mount tires in the 600-900 gram range
so another 50-100 grams of rim is worth it for a stronger, longer
wearing rim.

dougP