> Works with a ten speed chains?  Mmmm  I wouldn't want to have to make
> it work. 4mm width, must get tapered some for the teeth though.

Most high-quality chainrings step down at the teeth to a thinner width
than the main body of the ring. Even in 1938, when the original Herse
cranks were introduced, 4- and 5-speed chains were not 4 mm thick on
the inside. (The exact measurement for 5-speed is 2.38 mm.) So the new
rings are the same as the originals from the 1970s (which used modern
chainring bolts instead of bolts and nuts), except that the teeth are
a little bit thinner, and shaped a little differently to optimize
shifting.

> Quite light weight though - 540grams without the bolts.  Wonder how
> they did that?

By putting material where it is needed, and nowhere else. Compared to
the originals, we added a little material around the pedal eye (where
cranks tend to break) and went to a net-shape forging process to
ensure the strength in that area. (The originals were even lighter,
but we figured adding a few grams to increase the strength would be
prudent.) The downside of the net-shape forging process is that you
need a separate forging die for each length, but I would not be
comfortable riding such a lightweight crank where grain structure
around the pedal eye had been weakened by machining the crank to
length.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com