On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:43 -0500, Allingham II, Thomas J wrote:
> Steve:  Would Jack Brown Greens (the lighter weight version) be okay
> on the trail, or do I (ideally, anyway) need something fatter and
> sturdier?

Many people think 33.33mm wide tires are plenty fat for seriously bad
gravel roads like those on the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonnee - which is
far rougher than the surface of the GAP.

All "crushed limestone" is not created equal.  I was on the Greenbrier
Trail in West Virginia, also paved with crushed limestone, last summer
(finished up on Earthquake Day).  There, the top surface - maybe 1/2
inch or so - is loose, with a firm bottom under that.  You get up out of
the saddle and whoopsie! the rear end acts like it's on ball bearings.
Nothing at all like that on the GAP.  There, at least when I was there,
the surface is solid all the way from top to bottom.  In other words,
you don't sink in much so wide floation's not so critical.

On the final stretch from Frostburg to Cumberland, the steep part, we
saw a couple of roadies on 23mm racing tires heading up towards
Frostburg.