On Jan 22, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Ginz wrote:

> I don't rely on my Supernova tailight alone but since I am already
> pushing the Dyno hub I like to take advantage of the battery-free
> taillight.
>
> I always carry an extra battery-powered blinkie.  The trouble is that
> I don't have a place to put it.  The fender-mounted Spinnegas don't
> flash.  My chainstays are blocked by the rack and fender so my
> Princeton Tec Swerve is a no-go.  Normally I clip a traditional square
> light to the back of my pants or belt and put it on flash mode.
>
> I must figure out another place to mount a light.

This is a matter of some debate in some quarters, but I never use a light in
flashing mode.  In some places, for one thing, it is actually illegal as
flashing lights are reserved for emergency vehicles and the like, except for
turn signals.  Another issue is that flashing lights just annoy me.  A third is
that if a flashing light is all that another road users has to go on in order
to visually locate you and to estimate your direction and speed, a flashing
light is harder for them to track.  I set all my lights in non-flashing mode
and this has always worked well.  I have never been run into at night because
of it.  IMHO we are often harder to see in broad daylight than at night.