Flashing lights: Getting the attention of drivers is important. But if
your lights and reflectors provide enough visibility to motorists, I
think it can detract from safety to have the rear or front lights
flashing. I know that when I am on my bike, or driving, I have a
harder time clearly seeing other bikes who have flashing lights. I
can’t tell how far away they are. In some cases I can’t tell exactly
what they are for a split second.  So I just have two steady rear
lights and two steady headlights, and extensive reflectors, and I wear
a reflective vest. I think I am actually more visible at night than in
the day, at least from the way that vehicles respond when they see me.
I could be wrong about this, but that is my feeling.

I want to be seen, but I don’t want to alarm motorists. I want to be
seen as a slow moving vehicle, part of the normal traffic, not
something that provokes alarm. So immediately the motorist knows he is
dealing with a bicycle, and all he needs to do is pass when it is safe
to do so. It is easy to pass a bicycle, and it doesn’t slow down the
overall progress of cars, because they can quickly make up the time. A
bicycle causes much less disruption to traffic than a large slow
moving vehicle, and I think most motorists gradually learn that. For
the same reason, it helps to take the same route when you are
commuting, because you will encounter the same group of drivers to a
large extent, and they will get used to your presence.  The last thing
I want is for the driver to be alarmed, for example if he slams on the
brakes or is taken out of his comfort zone and reacts. I definitely
don’t want them to be  “blinded” or disoriented by flashing lights.
That would put me in danger.

Flashing lights are associated with emergency vehicles, pulling over,
stopping, danger. I don’t want those associations suddenly hitting the
semi-consciousness of drivers pulling up behind me. Most of them can
handle it, but there are enough poor drivers that the odd one will do
something stupid. I try to make life easier for the cars, only because
that makes my life easier. Just my two cents on flashing lights. ( or
about a quarter with inflation )