I own a Rivendell custom (one of the first from 1995), a quickbeam,
Sam Hillborne, and as of last summer, an Atlantis (I also have an
X01).  If I had to choose just on bike, it would be the atlantis,
without a question.  It rides great loaded (better than my Sam).  It
is so versatile, depending on the tires you put on it, I run 26x1.5
pasella's for fast and comfortable road rides up to 26x2.0 schwalbe
marathon extremes for dirt and single track plus rough stuff touring.
It is rock solid and super comfortable!  If price is not an object,
have grant build you up an atlantis!