Patrick: 26" wheels are a hard sell, probably because road-bike-oriented people
associate them with "slow" MTBs and cheapo X-Mart bikes. Back when we sold
Atlantises, it seemed like 58cm frames sold better than 56cm by about 10:1 (a
guess). Perhaps RBW has a more accurate ratio. In any case, many people saw the
559 wheel as a drawback. This observation also extends to a previous bike shop
gig, where one brand of road-racing bicycle used 26" wheels on its smallest
bikes. They were impossible to sell because of the perception of slowness.

With the Surly LHT, which has many similarities to the Atlantis, including 559
wheels on smaller frames, there is now an option to get the small wheels even
on larger frames. Since this option has been available, we've only stocked the
559 LHTs. The smaller wheels allow bigger tires and fenders, and toe-overlap
has been more or less eliminated. Also, the smaller wheels are lighter AND
stronger, all else being equal. IMO, the 26" wheels should be regarded as a
positive, not a negative. (although a nice bike with 700c or 650b wheels is
good, too)