Agree with Jim on the pluses of 26" wheels for touring.  While I've
never had any problem with the 700s on my 58 cm Atlantis, given my
druthers I'd go 26".

The perception of 26" being slower is not reality.  My wife has one
bike with 700 x 28 Paselas, and does not coast downhill as fast as I
do.  Her other bike is an Atlantis with 26" x 1.25" Panaracer Uban Max
(commuter tire).  She coasts downhill just as fast as I do on that
one.  Both bikes weigh within a pound of each other.  So much for the
myth of 26" being slow.

dougP