Based on the feedback here I am leaning now towards an 8-speed and
given the incompatibility of a 22T BCD chainring, it may be best to
stick with the 24/36/46 chainrings.  I just did a quick search and it
appears that there is a 13-34 8-speed.  I'm not sure how readily
available they are or the cost, but I think it's worth looking at.
You hit the nail on the head, though, as I am "intrigued" by 7s and
have found my 7 perfect for my purposes, excepting I have never toured
with it.