On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 18:50 -0800, Joe S wrote:
> I neglected to say at the outset that an impetus for me
> in making the change (besides the fact that wear and tear is starting
> to dictate it is time) was that I had a problem with a dropped chain
> under load on my last tour.  Fortunately I was able to extricate
> myself from the problem, but the more I thought about it afterwards,
> the more I thought that a narrower chain with more sprockets was more
> of a liability on the road than a wider chain (which in theory would
> be stronger and easier to maintain) and fewer sprockets.

You won't win anything in the dropped-chain department going from 9 to
8, as 9 is no more prone to dropping than 8.  "Dropped under load" is
more accurately described as "dropped to the inside when shifting the
front derailleur under load," yes?  If so, the answer to your problem is
a chain keeper, like the N-Gear Jump Stop.

In my experience, 9 speed chains wear as well as 8 or narrower, and any
differences you encounter are apt to be due to differences in
maintenance.