I've owned nothing but steel bikes and lived nowhere but the northeast.
Except for a winter beater/commuter bike it's a non-issue.

I've also been thinking about Joe K's original question and I bet the ratio
of Riv/Bob riders to total riders is as high here as it is out west, it's
just that California probably has as many cyclists as the rest of the
country combined, due to the general lifestyle and the weather. Just an
un-testable hypothesis...

-Pete in (chilly but snow-free) CT