As another NYC resident and an Riv owner, I will say that I think
there is a quiet minority of Rivendellians here in the city.  I ride
my Atlantis with mustache bars around town a fair amount, and have had
the bike recognized as well as seen a smattering of others. One fellow
even spotted and commented on the Jack Brown tires on my bike while I
was stopped at a red light!

I've always felt that Grant and Rivendell should have a great
beachhead here in NYC. There is such significant niche of people here
who are obsessed with being retro-chic that you'd think it would hold
some appeal for them. Unfortunately none of the stores here are
regular Riv dealers or seem to hold a lot of interest in that area,
though many are fine general purpose bike shops.

>From what I've seen, the Riv aesthetic may fall just a little bit in
the cracks. As Joe notes, there are plenty of the carbon-head
triathlete types pounding around Central and Prospect Parks. And the
last five years has seen a huge explosion of people riding rather
elegant city bikes, and they're the ones most likely to appreciate a
Riv, but for most people $2000+ is a bit steep for a city bike, when
there are lots of decent options in the sub$1000 range.  Thus Rivs are
a pricey for a city bike (in a city that is notoriously hard on bikes)
and a little too quirky for most of the higher end crowd, leaving us
contrarians in a distinct minority.

And while I appreciate the inclination to try to shift the culture of
the local clubs, I don't know how much success any of us would have
influencing the hammerheads. They've got their niche and they like it.
The best we can do is lead by quiet example.

These days with two young kids I don't get to do much in the way of
long rides, but I do ferry my child around town to piano, and dance,
and swimming lessons on a trail-a-bike attached to my Atlantis and I
do lock it on the street regularly and occasionally get to enlighten
interested passersby.

I've been very tempted by the East Coast Riv Rallies that Montclair
Bobby organized last year and this, but they've always been on bad
weekends for me and just a little too far away to be practical. I've
done the Croton Aquaduct BOB ride a number of times (and seen lots of
Rivs being ridden there) and while it is on groomed trails and not
terribly off road, it still is a bit bumpy and the tempo they take is
just a notch higher than I'm comfortable doing these days.

Thus fitting my choice to be a Rivendell contrarian, I mostly ride on
my own and enjoy the scenery and setting my own pace. Look for the guy
with the moustache bar Atlantis on the West Side and I'm always happy
to share the road for a bit with whoever is going my way.

Peter
NYC

(PS - Joe, I think you and I have traded emails before on this subject
and on new music. I know quite a number of composers and contemporary
musicians who ride (in a similar manner to us) and have always thought
about organizing a New Music ride some time. Maybe this is the year
for it when things warm up a bit. I'll keep you and everyone posted if
I do it.)