Thanks, Toshi. If I remember the Carradice system from the --- senile
mental fart: forget the -- aha! Kendalls! -- If I remember those properly
the C system was a bit less bulky than Ortlieb's; I had to grind the outer
hook covers down on my Packers and smaller front packers to clear the
fatter 1.35 Kojak when fitting them to the very minimalist Chauncey
Matthews rear rack.

I must check the Carradices if and when I next buy some. Meanwhile the
Ortliebs are very, very nice.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Toshi Takeuchi <tto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My key consideration was the mounting mechanism of the pannier to the
> rack. Both Ortlieb and Carradice have a secure mechanism where the
> pannier is mounted with hooks to the rack and cannot fall off. I find
> the mechanisms that involve bungee cords and such to be less secure
> and more troublesome.  For example, one time I hit a big bump and the
> cord disengaged and the pannier fell off the bike! The hook fell into
> my spokes and luckily the bungee broke before the spoke did.
>
> I love my Carradice Super C pannier as a small pannier (front pannier)
> and the great thing about Ortlieb panniers is that you can get a nice
> bright yellow one for great visibility.  My large panniers are Ortlieb
> Sport Panniers.
>
> Best,
> Toshi

Patrick Moore