Add the weight of the rider and the difference even between a 14 lb
carbon fiber bicycle and a 25 lb steel bicycle is insignificant with
regard to c-o-g and wind balance; 9 lb would certainly make a
difference on hills and when accelerating, considering the bicycles
unladen, of course.

Not too long ago I rode in 45 gust to 56 and, at the worst, riding
sideways to the gusts, had the bike pushed toward the wall along the
edge of a bridge, but I was never in any real danger of being blown
over. The worst thing was the sandblasting.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM, dr...@charter.net <dr...@charter.net> wrote:
> Boy did I get an eye opener today. Went out cycling- very windy,
> usually take my Atlantis for days like this, however Project Atlantis
> is still in the works. Took my Klein, got blown into gravel and fell
> over- no injury due to low speed and helmet bumping the concrete
> instead of head. I know that I would not have fallen on my Atlantis
> due to its stability.
>
> Which raises the question of someone taking a lightweight Titanium
> touring bike cross country. Friend is letting son do this, with
> trepidation. When we spoke a year ago my advice was obviously a steel
> bike. He recently told me he got a Salsa, Titanium bike. Went to their
> website and they do have one model they advertise for long distance
> touring- very light.
>
> Obviously they will have panniers to weigh the bike down, but the bike
> itself and thus the center of gravity is very light, although I know
> Titanium is strong. Does anyone know anything about touring with such
> a light bike. For some reason, I always felt that the weight of my
> Atlantis is what made it feel so safe no matter what the conditions.

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory