I rode my Ram across country on a very light (credit card) trip and
faced all kinds of winds including the storms prior to afternoon
tornadoes in Kansas. Loaded or unloaded stability comes from the
design and intended use of a bike. If one is intended for touring it
will be fine unless foolishly loaded to the opposite.

My colleagues were on Serottas, customers from the same shop where
their sage was of a different perspective than Grant. The outcome was
them pushing their DA racing triple bikes up the steeps in Appalachia,
replacing a saddle that felt like a dull axe in Illinois, replacing a
dead brifter in Kansas and generally suffering a posture that was best
inflicted for three to five hour events, not ten or twelve hours on
the pedals.

They were much more precarious in wind, much more afraid down hills
and through turns and mortally petrified by the possibility of rolling
off the edge of the pavement  at speed due to close passing traffic.
Their trip was a different one than mine, I don't know if the husband
and wife really even ride at all now.

Might I add that I was comfortable, capably geared, robust of
hardware, confident in fast descents, curves and the slowest steepest
of climbs. I performed all the bodges keep the others going; that
failed brifter  while on the frontier deserves a special place in
Hell. The Suntour downtube shifter set I carried from Virginia was
worth their weight in gold as were my much scoffed-at fenders (my
drivetrain was cleaner and suffered the least wear and need for chain
replacement of the group).

The right tool for the job is such an important and valuable choice!

ANDY
Pittsburgh