I rode cross country with a fellow on a Seven titanium bike. It was
fine, he was fine. I'm quite sure that the five pounds or whatever
difference between a loaded Atlantis and a loaded Seven will make
approximately zero difference in their handling in the wind. (I'm not
saying they handle the same, just that the difference will not come
from the lightness of the Seven frame.)  And if both bikes are loaded
similarly, they'll have the same center of gravity, too.

I've done a tiny amount of touring on my Klein touring bike. It too
was fine. I prefer my Atlantis for touring, but again, not because the
Klein is too light. If I could magically subtract five pounds from my
Atlantis and change nothing else, I would.

This is a complete non-issue.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM, dr...@charter.net <dr...@charter.net> wrote:
> Boy did I get an eye opener today. Went out cycling- very windy,
> usually take my Atlantis for days like this, however Project Atlantis
> is still in the works. Took my Klein, got blown into gravel and fell
> over- no injury due to low speed and helmet bumping the concrete
> instead of head. I know that I would not have fallen on my Atlantis
> due to its stability.
>
> Which raises the question of someone taking a lightweight Titanium
> touring bike cross country. Friend is letting son do this, with
> trepidation. When we spoke a year ago my advice was obviously a steel
> bike. He recently told me he got a Salsa, Titanium bike. Went to their
> website and they do have one model they advertise for long distance
> touring- very light.
>
> Obviously they will have panniers to weigh the bike down, but the bike
> itself and thus the center of gravity is very light, although I know
> Titanium is strong. Does anyone know anything about touring with such
> a light bike. For some reason, I always felt that the weight of my
> Atlantis is what made it feel so safe no matter what the conditions.

-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels