I'm a big fan of this Jandd bag:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCBP

I just carry my MB 13" in it loose, though I may be courting disaster.
The bag has plenty of room to put one of those soft sleeves on the
laptop as protection.
It comes with a yellow rain cover attached which is a nice touch. I
don't use it much though so I disconnected it and just pull it out
when it rains.

Peter
NYC