I took delivery of the new Bosco Rubbe Bullmoose bar today and proceeded to
install it on my Hunqapillar. *http://tinyurl.com/7bmmkfl*
*
*
Initial impressions:
- They are beautiful. I love the Bullmoose configuration and while it
restricts further adjustments except for height, I believe it's an optimal
position and are very happy to trade off the ability to rotate the bar for
the added stiffness and beauty.
- They have a lot of rise and a fairly short quill. I have inserted them
fully, leaving just a tiny gap so they don't rub on the top of the headset
and on the Hunqapillar at least, I don't think I need them any higher at
all. After more rides I'll be able to tell whether they are more
comfortable for me than the Bullmoose bars I had, but I don't think their
height will change.
- Upright position is a bit "surprising" to my body. Can't tell for sure
after just riding them in the street in front of my house for a short
while, but it seems my back is more relaxed, there is less pressure on my
hands and I can slide them forward and backwards easily. Can't say for sure
about hand or neck pain yet.
- Versatile hand positioning. I installed the leather grips I had on the
Bullmoose bars and while these are more suitable to keep the hands on a
single spot, the bar configuration allows me to easily slide them forward
while still having plenty of flat section to adjust to the speed I'm
riding. Additionally, if I want to get "aereo" or if there is a strong
headwind, I can comfortably place my hands on the front flat section while
having the grips support my elbows for a very confident position. My
initial impression is that they are much more comfortable and versatile
(for me) than the Albatross bars I tried a while back and ended up selling.
- They are wide. This means that I'm not poking myself on the ends of the
bar when making tight turns, getting off the bike, etc. I'm big and I fit
very comfortably inside the bars. It takes a while to get used to maneuver
the bike with the hands behind the line of the head tube but it's not a big
deal.
- Not surprisingly, I had to adjust the tilt of my saddle to support the
more upright position, which means there is more weight on my butt.
- Need to lengthen the brake cable/housing for the front brake but it will
work for now.

Over the long weekend I'll do some longer rides and cruise around Palo Alto
to form a better opinion.

Happy Memorial Weekend!

René