On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I made the mistake of setting out just now with just one 28 oz water
> bottle

That's a lot of water, but everyone's needs are different. When I
lived in dry, hot (though likely not ABQ hot) Missoula, I'd drink half
a bottle, do a 17-mile evening loop, and then have the other half on
the porch when I got back. I carried the half bottle, but only in case
a mechanical or something delayed me. I never much felt like drinking
on a short, hard ride like that. I should mention that was a flat
course. Didn't mean that as admonishing you for drinking, just
thinking back to similar rides.

> My main concerns are, (1) do they feel icky (that's a technical term)
> on your back on a hot day?

If you start with ice in the bladder, it feels marvelous for the first
10 miles or so. I eventually added some closed cell foam for longer
rides so I wasn't heating up my water supply. I used a really light
combo: REI Flash 18 pack + 2L (I think, or is it 2.5L?) MSR
Cloudliner. It carried well enough that I forgot it after a while. The
nice thing is it gets lighter as you drink.

> 2). Do they mold up? How do you clean them to prevent mold?

Mine never did in two years of continuous use. I just rinsed, drained,
and hung it up with the cap off. Always tasted better than bike bottle
water. Again, that was in a dry climate. I haven't used it much since
moving to Oregon.

> 3) What brand and model do y'all recommend, if any?

I liked the combo I had, although to be honest I just grabbed both off
the "scratch and dent" table at REI. The combo is only a pound and the
pack is useful for unexpected roadside produce and such. Camelbacks
I've handled seemed way overbuilt for road biking to me.

> Gnashbar has several on sale (tho' they're damn'd expensive compared
> to water bottles). Is the cheapest, at $40, the "Camelback Fairfax"
> fer God's sake, 50 oz, decent? Or the (gad) "Blowfish" 70 oz at $60? I
> can't see carrying more than half a gallon on my back.

I ended up loving the little Flash pack with and without the bladder.
I'd pay full price to replace with the same when mine finally gives
out.

> Or am I just better off putting a second bottle in my rear pocket?

Probably, but the bladder is different and kind of fun. It's also come
in handy on a couple of bike camping trips when I've wanted to load up
on water before a dry stretch to camp. I wouldn't have tried it except
for the good deal (think it was $30 total), but now I think they have
their place. Still not sure I'd want one for an evening fun road ride,
though.

Best,
joe broach
portland, or