Just to add my two cents, i use a nitto uplift (it's kinda like a bagman
only upside down), but that is only on my 'light' bike on which i carry my
smaller saddlebags, if it was loaded i'd be worried about sag.

as others point out i'd suggest a rear rack, either an r14 (top rack) or a
mark's rack, i know both options are quite expensive now, but if my primary
carry system was a saddlebag i'd consider it analogous to buying a rear
rack to support panniers.

i recently got a set of berthoud saddlebags that came with their threadless
stem + cradle that bolts to the seatpost, this is really secure and easy to
get a bag on/off (because it supports the bag from the bottom so buckling
the straps is no problem), but it looks terrible when there is no bag on
the bike.  i also want to weigh it as in the hand it seems heavier then a
marks or r14