I basically gave up looking for a "quality" kids bike. Even with my
almost-10-year-old's love/like of cycling, he's only going to ride a few
hundred miles a year, if that. We'll go on 10-15 mile rides many
good-weather wekeends. But ride while cold? Nope. Raining? No way. Too hot?
Not a chance. It's not his fault. Not everyone loves "bicycle cycling" the
way I do. So while he notices when his knees hit his handlebar (which
prompted us to get him a 24"-wheeled bike to replace his 20"-wheeled bike
the day we saw it happen), he *doesn't* notice/care when his seat is too
low or his tires are squirmy or his arms are somewhat stretched or the bike
feels "funny" or "dead" or "twitchy". I've observed him riding enough to
feel okay about the safety of his fit and his "seat" on his new bike. But I
couldn't rationalize spending the money to go to the next level at this
point.
Now, the way he's growing, it wouldn't surprise me if he could ride a 48cm
Hillborne in a few years. Even more likely a 50cm Betty. If his desire to
ride grows along with his limbs, that's not out of the question at all. My
wife could ride the Betty once he's outgrown it. And he'd get a chance to
experience unracer riding before completely choosing his own bike.
Until then, though, it's a cheap-and-heavy-but-not-totally-crappy Novara
pseudo-quasi-mountain bike with a suspension he'll never compress and a top
tube he'll comfortably span only when his knees bruise his chest while
riding. Who designs these things? It couldn't possibly stand up to actual
mountain biking. And the only thing the suspension adds to normal
road/trail riding is weight. (At least it *is* a somewhat lighter than my
totally be-racked/be-fendered/be-leathered double-top-tube 60cm Hillborne
with a 40-spoke Phil-hubbed Cliffhanger rear wheel and wood grips. I bet if
I stripped the racks to just the R-50 saddlebag quick-release, replaced the
wood grips with cork, and left everything else the same it'd go the other
way. As it is his is not that much lighter.)
Oh well... at least I know it was put together by someone who wasn't
completely stoned. (My experiences with non-REI LBSes in my area has been
bad, to say the least. I haven't been back to one since my front wheel and
fork fell out while loading my "repaired" bike onto the rack on the back of
my car. They hadn't clamped the stem to the steerer "very well".)
Fortunately, so far the doesn't have to deal with his father's biggest
(biking) problem: excessive (engine) weight.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean