I would not discount the better cruiser-type bikes. I bought my
daughter a top-end Electra Townie model (3-i) with 24" wheels for her
ninth birthday and it is surprisingly decent: light for such a bike
(aluminum frame and parts), 3 speed coaster brake plus V brake, bottle
cage mounts. I upgraded the tires (probably needlessly) and it was not
cheap at $700 total with tax from LBS, but it will last her into
adolescence -- it is almost big enough for me with seatpost extended,
and I can ride a 60 with a fist and a half showing.

The Bianchi Milano is also very nice and comes in sizes small enough
for an average 10 year old; tho' my knowledge of this model dates back
two years when I tried to persuade Catie to accept one. (No, she
wanted a pink Townie.)

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM, singlecross <adamwa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> We have been happy with a Raleigh Scout 24" MTB for my 8 year old. We went
>> to this because my son was riding a 20" wheel singlespeed/coaster brake and
>> was getting tired after 8 miles or so of hilly riding, as you would imagine.
>> The biggest improvement was the gears for him because of the hills where we
>> live. Grip shift 3x7 gearing for the hills, Aluminum frame and
>> NON-SUSPENSION! fork. I wish they made the same in a 20" wheel for my 5 year
>> old.
>

> http://www.raleighusa.com/archive/2011-youth/mtn-scout-11/
>

> Adam
> Downeast Maine

> For more options, visit this group at

"Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you."

Flannery O'Connor