I had some 5% back store credit burning a hole in my rivbike.com account,
so I recently made a "purchase".  (Thanks guys!)  Part of my order was a
pair of King Grip pedals.  Did my first ride with them today and thought
I'd share my thoughts for those who are considering them.

The ride was my normal 10 mile commute, unseasonably cool with a slight
breeze.  Rode in my size 14 Chaco sandals, with socks (fashion at its
best!) due to the cooler temperatures.

Last night I installed the pedals.  They were surprisingly light.  They
look very bulky and heavy, but when I held them I was pleasantly surprised.
 Too lazy to find the grease, so I put a dab of wax based chain lube on the
threads and figured the existing grease in the crank arms would be
sufficient.  The spindles have both hex flats for a 14 mm pedal wrench and
recessed holes for an allen wrench.  I used the flats since I already had
the pedal wrench in hand from removing the MKS touring pedals.

The MKS touring pedals were bothering me in that I was constantly suffering
from pedal strike.  I tried, seriously, to teach myself how close they were
to the ground, but it seemed that even on the most subtle of turns they
would touch the ground.  The King Grip pedals, on the other hand, had
amazing clearance.  I pedaled through every turn, even some that I
shouldn't have and couldn't get them to hit the ground.  I tried standing
with one foot low and swerving back and forth on the bike trail trying to
get them to touch, and they didn't.  They had GREAT clearance!  (Grant
responded to my previous complaints about the MKS pedals, indicating that
the King Grips had the best clearance of the pedals they sell)

On the MKS pedals I have been using powergrip straps.  I didn't miss the
attachment at all with the King Grip pedals as the platform held the shoe
in place well.

Overall they were good pedals.  My concern, though, is that they felt too
narrow.  I felt like I had to keep my feet in just the right place to keep
them centered over the pedal, and yet I was still pushing against the
straps of my sandals as my foot wanted to migrate outwards.  It may be
because I tend to pedal somewhat toe out, and on my old Speedplay Frog
pedals I always special ordered them with extra long spindles, but I think
that I'd also prefer a longer spindle with the King Grip pedal so that I
could feel like my foot was actually on the pedal.  Maybe I should try them
with a set of those "knee saver" spacer, but I don't have any available.  I
also quickly understood why some here have been adding an extra support
along the outer edge and am somewhat tempted to go back through the
archives and see who was selling those and try to modify these accordingly.

Anyhow, hope that this quick review is helpful to anybody considering these
pedals...

-Rex