I have Grip Kings on both my bikes. I have RBW's "spikes" on one face of
each pedal on one bike, no spikes on my newer bike's pedals. It is on the
list of things to do to put the spikes on one face of each pedal on my
newer bike.

Unless it's really wet or snowy, I prefer the absence of the spikes; it
lets me position my foot most freely, which I like very much.

When it is very wet or snowy, I flip to the spiked face for secure footing;
those conditions do make the pedals somewhat slippery.

I find the Grip Kings nearly ideal for all the riding I do on trail and
pavement.

Just for context (which matters a lot given the huge variety of riding done
by the folks on this group): Most often my rides are 5-10 miles at a
stretch, every week or so 30-40 miles, never more than 60 miles (yet). I
ride in Keen leather or Keen canvas shoes or Keen sandals.

Sometimes I consider trying other pedals. But the Grip Kings provide no
compelling reason for me to do so.

Same with the Keen footwear (both for riding and in general). The big Keen
toe box will keep me a Keen customer until they do something to screw it up.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean