I think that what Grant is driving at is that while seatbelts and other
safety improvements have gone a long way to save lives helmet technology
simply has not advanced that far and is being applied as a panacea to tell
people they are "safer" when in fact they are probably not.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/1999/jun/15/healthandwellbeing.health1

Like I have said, I wear one but I also ride cautiously, I have a family
that needs me at home so they can annoy me about how I ride too much....