> It seems to me that his decision to create a net forged replica of the
famous Rene Herse crank in the traditional 171mm size is
> defended by claiming that longer cranks are not needed because it is only
a 2% difference (or so, don't have the quote in front of me
> but i think we have all read it).

Gross oversimplification.

Jan explained quite clearly his is a small operation.  To make the Rene
Herse to the best of standards he believes in he had a mold created to
forge the cranks.  Making molds is very expensive.  Jan opted to have them
made in what he believes is the most optimal size.  If you want cranks in
other sizes, there are many companies out thee.  Expecting a one person
operation - and one with a very tight focus - to match the offerings of the
bigs is unfair.  Look no further than the limits GP has to set with his
Rivendell business- a business intended for a much wider market.