One of my pet peeves is the oft-stated/implied claim that Surly somehow
ripped off (or "replicated") Riv designs. A quick look at the Surly website
or catalog shows that they have numerous models that are far outside the
realm of what is offered by Riv, and in fact Surly has led the way in
producing entirely new genres of bicycles (cargo bikes, fat bikes, etc).
Moreover, all of Surly's more "traditional" Riv-comparable models
(Cross-check, LHT, Pacer) are not identical to the corresponding Riv
models. There's no doubt in my mind that ALL bike designers, even Grant,
borrow ideas from others, but to directly or backhandedly state that Surly
is basically a Riv-clone with corners cut for cost savings is untrue and
unfair to the good and creative people who design Surly products.