On Aug 6, 2012, at 7:41 PM, Allan in Portland <allan_f...@aracnet.com> wrote:

> On Monday, August 6, 2012 5:16:03 PM UTC-7, z-man wrote:
> You're not going to determine what rolls faster by rolling down a hill and
> measuring with a stop watch.
>
> Um, why not? Assuming one is rigorous with the measuring, ie. calm wind,
> repeat roll-downs, same bike & rider, etc. Have you read the test procedure
> they used? Seemed solid to me, which is why I'm asking. Thx.

While Jan et al made a lot of efforts to minimize the variables- the goal of
experimental design being to eliminate all fariables except the one you want to
measure- doing a coast down ride with a live human on board, outside, etc., has
too many variables that may intrude. They worked hard but the design of the
experiment doomed it to having too much noise, even with careful statistical
analysis, to produce reliable and valid results.  I have much preferred the
tests Jan has done using a power meter, which also has uncontrolled variables
but seems to me to be a more direct way to measure the feature of interest:
how efficient the bike is with product A vs. product B.