From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com [rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Eric Platt [epericmpl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:39 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Interesting blog entry (and comments/replies) from Jan
Heine's blog

Regarding "wider is faster" - first reference Bicycle Quartery Volume 4, Number
1 page 43 "I have found that lightweight, wide, supple tires at lower pressure
are at least as fast as less supple tires at higher pressures."
Bicycle Quarterly Volume 5, Number 1, page 23 "2. Wider tires are faster"
Bicycle Quarterly Volume 9, Number 1, page 63 "For example, in our real-road
testing of tire performance, we found that wider tires, run at lower pressures,
can be as fast as (if not faster than) narrow tires at ultral-high pressure."
(Citing the test in Volume 5, Number one above.)

So, yes, I guess no one ever said wider tires are faster.

I really need something better to do with my time.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Steve Palincsar
<palin...@his.com<mailto:palin...@his.com>> wrote:
On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 19:37 -0500, Eric Platt wrote:
> Now, I don't ride fast.  And because of that, rarely ride with others.
> And the skinniest tire I have is a 700x37.  But if wider is always
> faster, then the Surly Moonlander with the 4.5 inch wide, incredibly
> supple tires must the the fastest bike out there.

Nobody has ever made either claim.