Great story.
I commute pretty regularly. I do it for the same reason you do, it really is
fun.

If circumstances cause me to drive to work several days in a row I start to
realize that riding the bike isn't
real 'convenient'.  Driving is 'convenient' and a real drag.

So there's a bit of a catch-22. Folks need to do their bike commute enough to
get past the 'not so convenient' factor
and get to experience the fun factor.

Also, some people seem to have an irrational fear of sweat.  The common belief
seems to be that any physical effort must be followed by a hot shower. Unless
it is super hot I get by without showering (don't tell anyone).
Maybe I've just been lucky and the sweat police have yet to catch me.

Cheers,
JimD