I have done the round trip a few times.  I live one mile from a BART
station on either end, also, so usually I'm just doing the bike and BART
commute.  I'm lucky enough to work at the same company as my wife.  We
carpool in together in the morning with a bike on the roof.  She leaves
early and I work the full day.  I bike and BART home.  Every Friday (she
doesn't work Fridays) I do the long ride in.  In a good week, I'll do it
Friday and another day.