Funny how canti brakes are so simple yet quite theoretically and
operationally quite complicated. As I understand canti operations, I agree
with Jeremy that you will gain some mechanical advantage from a lower
straddle cable. You might also run fine sandpaper along the rim braking
surface just to insure it is clean and 'open' to the brake pads.

After you have ridden it for awhile, I would like to hear your
comparison/contrast to the LHT, a bike with different tube diameters and
thickness but very similar geometry.