The rubbing I was getting with the longer flap was the side stays
rubbing the tire.  On that bike, the tires were usually Marathon
Duremes 700x40.  Realized it was the extra leverage of the longer flap
that caused the kerfuffle.  Once changed, it was not an issue.

Not dangerous at all to me, either, but annoying.  It happened even
after bolting the front of the fender to the Nitto Mini rack.

But it's all moot at present as I sold the Sam Hillborne last weekend.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN