Others have covered the water resistance issue well & that's an important
point.  Another thing to study is the mounting & retention hardware.  You
will likely be taking them off the bike often when on tour, so it has to be
something quick & easy, yet solid and secure.  Before you buy, ask about
the availability of replacement hardware.  Lots of this stuff is plastic
and will break over time and with abuse, even high quality gear.  Carefully
think thru your gear, clothes, etc. when picking a size. It's real easy
to just get the biggest bag you can but that makes it easy to drag around a
lot of stuff you don't use.  OTH, if you're camping in a wet climate,
cooking, carrying food & water, you want enough room.

Visibility:  I have a big safety triangle attached to my left rear bag, and
a set of yellow rain covers for all 4 bags.  The Ortleib yellow is a great
color but I've followed those, and the black rear panel is what you see
from the back.

dougP