With the rack off and the pannier empty, I got it to work. Tight fit that
involved some monkeying to get it on but it's a solid attachment. Thanks
for the counter experience.

I took a few pics in case anyone's wondering what the issue was...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15966859@N07/8074911181/

--Andy