I really like Newbaum's tape, mostly because I like the colors and how they deepen with shellacking.  My Bleriot came from Rivendell with cloth tape wrapped over cork tape underneath and shellacked.  That was 6 years ago and I really liked how it felt and lasted.  I've since re-done in the same way the Bleriot bars, other bars and a few days ago did another bike with Newbaum's over cork - there are 4 separate shots of the tape:

 http://www.flickr.com/photos/30856149@N04/8135995899/in/photostream/

So, the Newbaum's is somewhat fragile and really needs to be shellacked, I think.  Here's the question:  after wrapping, I put on 3 coats of shellac over a couple of days.  The pictures are after a 150 mile weekend of riding so the tape definitely got a little human sweat/dirty hands use added to it.

Is there a rule of thumb for how many coats provide good protection?  What do those of you who are 'shellackers' usually do?  Or, is it a matter of what final shade of color you're trying to achieve?

Thanks -
Joan
Riv content:  the Newbaum's orange tape was purchased from Rivendell.  Plus, I always re-watch the bar wrapping and shellacking videos from Rivendell before re-doing handlebars.  I really like the music that accompanies Riv videos.