I think cold, exposed ear lobes are pretty common.  Who knows.  In any
case, my wife solved the problem for me when she got me a pair of ear bags.
 www.earbags.com or http://www.amazon.com/Earbags/dp/B002WQ7R2O.  They look
ridiculous on their own and fall off, BUT under a headband or a beanie they
are perfect!  I've not found a better solution.  I've had happy, warm ear
lobes for two years now.  Highly recommended.

Christian