A few years ago, I had an 80s univega that was similar in many ways to a
Rambouillet. No racks or fenders, skinny 700x25 tires, roadie gearing, about
21-22 lbs. It was the lightest, raciest bike I ever had, and very comfortable
for me. I rode it 200 miles that year, with 150 of those miles coming in a
single ride. I rode it so few times because, like previous similar attempts, I
found that riding a "road bike" was too confining. I relish the freedom to roll
off the pavement more than I care about riding my fastest or keeping up with
faster riders. To each his/her own, but now my speed bike is a Surly
Cross-check with 700x40 marathon supremes. That said, I do sometimes get a wild
hair and "casually" pass roadies on expensive bikes. This is especially fun on
my Brompton or Pugsley.