I used Hetres (42's) on my GAP/C&O ride and was very happy with the ride on
both trails.  As others have said, the surfaces are not at all the same.  You
could use much skinnier tires for the GAP.  When I left the GAP,and rode onto
the C&O, it had rained the previous day and the C&O was pretty messy and
rutted.  The Hetres were much appreciated for the next couple of days (the
final day, the trail had pretty much dried out.
Joan