Lovelybike has info on a Surly Cross Check with Fat Franks and VO
Zeppelins. (Lots of pics.)
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/06/surly-cross-check-review-colourful.html

She mentions: "On the downside, the clearances between the tires and
fenders are so tight, that the set-up is not really practical for serious
off-road cycling: stuff can get caught in there and cause problems. But for
fire trails and gravel paths it is fine..."

I don't think I would do this with knobbies.

Good luck-- looking forward to the pics of the build.
Shoji