Rene,

Everyone might have different levels of comfort for fender clearance.  On
my one bike with 60mm Berthoud fenders and 50mm Marathon Dureme tires, I
find it to be a fairly close fit.  Mind you, this is a Surly LHT, not a
Rivendell, so it's really apples and oranges.  On another bike, have 52mm
VO fenders and 40mm wide studded tires are probably too wide to be
considered totally safe, although haven't had much in the way of trouble so
far.

My usual setup is to take a 10mm allen wrench and put it between the tire
and the fender for setup.  Probably could (should?) go closer, but have had
a few rock issues over the years due to my preference for heavily treaded
tires.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN