On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 15:41 -0700, WETH wrote:

> Question:  For those who use or have used  the Shimano bar-end
> shifters, especially on Albatross bars, how easy is it to index shift
> rapidly across several gears on the rear cassette?  Is it as easy as
> moving the lever up or down the needed number of clicks?

Yes, exactly.  You can sweep the entire block, if you like.

> (On my gripshift, index shifting, one click equals one sprocket change
> on the cassette.)  Are the Shimano bar-end shifters durable enough to
> take somewhat rough handling every day?

What kind of "rough handling" could a bar end shifter get?  Dropping the
bike on it?  Beating it with a hammer?  Ordinary shifting is in no way
"rough."

> I think I have read about a washer cracking easily.)  As I mentioned,
> I ride hard on my commute.  I do not mean to insinuate that the
> shifters are not of good quality, it is just that I am quite hard on
> my gear when commuting.

What do you mean by "hard on my gear"?

> Hence, the Surly LHT with 26 x 2.35 tires.  Specifically I would be
> using the shifter set compatible with a 6-7-8 speed cassette.

There is no one shifter set compatible with 6, 7 and 8.  I've never seen
an indexed 6 and I'm not sure they ever existed.  Indexed 7 speed bar
ends definitely existed, but they're quite rare now.  You can get new
stock (possibly new old stock) 8 speed indexed bar end shifters on ebay
quite easily.