Dear Shoji and Joe, thanks for the response.  I have a bike with stem mounted
shifters (friction) that I ride on the weekends.  I have commuted with it, but
I did not like the uncertainty of which gear I dropped into nor the time I had
to spend  with only one hand on the bar while navigating busy urban roads.
That in part could be solved by practice, but I am fairly set in my commuting
ways.  I do however enjoy friction shifting on my weekend rides.  In response
to another thread on bags, someone said (Jim from Hiawatha Cyclcery maybe?)
paraphrasing here: fit, utility, looks- pick any two and be happy.  Since the
grip shifters function and fit how I ride when commuting, I suppose I should
leave them.  I can  adjust more quickly to the new twisting motion on the grip
shifts better than I could adjust to friction shifting.  It's just those
bar-end shifters look so nice!
Thanks for allowing me to think this through.
Erl