On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:53:33 AM UTC-4, Deacon Patrick wrote:

> I always ride (or run) so I can have an easy conversation. No doubt I look
> like I am, a bit over the edge, talking to myself. Grin. If you want to
> know more about this general approach and geek out on heart rate a formula,
> check out Phil Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance. The idea is to build up
> your aerobic fitness, so you go faster with the same effort after a while.
> Works really well. Have fun!

Patrick - I'm curious about your experience in applying Maffetone-style
training on the bike.  I think his protocol has several upsides ...
day-in-day-out energy and reduced risk of injury, in particular.  i think
it's a great formula for health.  and if i was a dedicated runner, I'd
probably do strict Maff for 2-3months.  but the big limiter for me is the
time/volume to make progress and improve performance on Maff training
alone.  I'd need to run approx. 50-60mi/week for 4-6 months  to reach and
keep the fitness I get on 20-30mi/week with some higher intensity work
thrown in.  I haven't even considered Maff style training on the bike
because of the time/volume I'd need to make progress.  How much volume are
you doing to see measurable improvement?