I use to race, but as I close in on 69, I find I am alergic to the word
"train".  I do believe in building an aerobic base, and believe, even if I
don't actually practice it, that anerobic work outs once a week or so are
good for me.  This winter, too cold for me to want to ride, and not enough
snow for consistent Xcountry skiing and shoeing.  My main exercise has been
going up and down stairs for 4 hours a day while replacing all the wood
floors on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our house.  Should be a decent base,
but my legs aren't used to turning in circles.  Anyway, at my age I'm just
thrilled to get out and ride.  i spent a big chunk of my work career in a
hospital and learned to be thankful that my kidneys still work!  Time for
 my afternoon nap!

Michael