> On Friday, April 12, 2013 11:53:28 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Hutch wrote:
>> A reliable bike will get ridden way more than an old artfully crafted
lugged beauty that needs constant TLC.

I don't get why people think older bikes need constant TLC.   If anything,
a good bike from the 70's, 80's or 90's is going to be *more* reliable for
the price, than a new bike at that same price.     And if a person rides a
bike, purchased brand-new or not- actually rides it-  he or she will
eventually need to replace things on it.    Tires, chain/cogs, brakes,
etc.     They haven't invented wear-proof parts yet (though steel
chainrings will get you farther than buttery soft Aluminum :)

I'm not trying to be a wise ass here-    the beauty of vintage bikes is
that they tend to be simpler in design, so unless you buy something that
only takes French threading or something else oddball, anybody experienced
with pre-techno lego blocks can probably figure them out.    Rivendell has
managed to similarly keep unnecessary complication out of their bikes, and
that's one of the many draws to them.    But really, that's the beauty of
bicycles in general-    most of them are simple and cheap to fix, compared
to say, a car.

I understand the desire not to buy something that *immediately* needs TLC.
    But on the other hand, there are so many "pre-owned" bikes out there
that have barely been ridden, and furthermore there are bikes shops that
sell older bikes that they have refurbished/made sure everything is in
order.  Bikes Not Bombs or Cambridge Antique Market around here, for
example.

Matt